By Elizabeth Paulsen in the style of Chuck Gallozzi
We are thankful for:
- Long hours because even though they’re long, we set them and we are not likely to lay ourselves off.
- Work stress because it gives us an excuse to reach for the dark chocolate or go work out.
- Payroll taxes, vacation pay and medical premiums because it means we have employees to help do the work.
- Tech savvy employees because they prompt us to update our hardware, software and selfware (personal skills and knowledge).
- The customer who owes us money because it means the project is complete.
- The customer who tells stories or makes puns, because he makes us laugh.
- The customer who complains because it means she cares enough about our work to tell us how we can improve.
- The customer who includes a smiley face on his check and emoticons in his emails because it reminds us we are more than business owners.
- Commercial loans because they make us less attractive to hostile buyouts.
- Auditors because they give us critical information and feedback.
- Business advisors, mentors and strategic business partners because they sharpen us.
- Business networking groups because they help us refine our elevator speeches.
- Non-profit organizations because they challenge us to be philanthropic.
- Our families who say that they like life better as small business owners than when we worked for large corporations.