In a world that is getting faster and faster there are still times we feel stuck waiting. There’s sad and wonderful reasons to wait. Right now I am waiting on a baby due next month or early June. Some of you may be waiting on business deals, book proposals, scholarships, vacations, weddings, and so much more.
So what do we do in this Instagram, Facebook, texting, Snapchat, email world when we are forced to wait?
Here’s what I’ve learned works for me…
- Making a list of fun ideas to help occupy my time and thoughts while I wait. This could be planning a coffee meet up with a friend, a picnic with the family, window shopping, a weekend getaway, binge watching a great show on Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime, etc.
- Making an old fashioned paper chain like you did in elementary school counting down to Christmas. We used this to pay off our school and car loans, setting an amount of money for each chain and over time ripped or burned off the ones we had finished.
- Read all those books stacked on your bedside table or on your recommended reading list. Now is the time you say you never have, improve your mind!
- Tackle your forgotten or long put-off to do list chores. Take the clothes to the dry cleaners, scrub your floors, tackle water stains on the dining room table, declutter.
- Journal. Whether you are waiting on something potentially awesome or terrible documenting this season will be good for you and give you something to look back on when the next period of waiting begins, you can remember what you did to survive, cope, stay patient.
What tricks have you learned to be patient while waiting? What doesn’t work for you? What would you add to this list?